16 April 2011

In Memoriam - And Can It Be?

And can it be that I should gain
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?






Over the last few days I've blogged some of my thoughts and interaction with the lyrics of what is often called the 'Fight Song' of Methodism: 'And Can It Be' (or 'Free Grace,' which was the title Charles Wesley first published it as). I posted an entry for each verse. Click on the verses above to go to each post.

But there is one more thing I wish to share with you about the significance of this song for me. Though I was raised in a Methodist church, I wasn't exposed to this song (that I can recall anyway) until I was in high school when a British Methodist evangelist, named Dr. Reginald Mallett, visited my hometown to preach at a cluster revival of the several nearby Methodist churches. You can read more about his ministry in this lovely article that was written immediately after his death last year.

Dr. Mallett had a very attracting preaching style. Perhaps it was just the penchant for British accents that people like me have (I think he's the only person who has ever referred to me as a "fine young chap"), but I found his delivery very appealing as he would repeat the Scriptural text or hymn line to serve as transitions throughout his sermons. One such repetition was the opening lyrics of this hymn. I recall the clarity and exactness of his British accent as he recited the marvelous words of wonder at the depths of God's love that we should gain an interest in the blood of Christ.

My family was keen on welcoming visitors (esp. visiting preachers) to share meals with us after church services. Dr. Mallett and his wife joined our family at my grandfather's house on one of the evenings that week of the revival. I was in the midst of considering my educational path in route to ministry, when he suggested, "If you're going to seminary, be sure to give a good look at Asbury." That was the first time I'd heard of the school and his advice would return to mind years later when I pondered transferring from Murray State to finish my undergraduate work in Religion or Theology or Bible. So not only did he introduce this hymn to me, he was the first to introduce me to the name of the institutions that bear my undergrad and seminary degrees, even though his recommendation was from a distance.

I didn't speak with Dr. Mallett again for quite some time, but since I started my PhD program in a British institution and occasionally go to England for brief residency periods for intensive research, I decided to look him up during my visit this past June. I found that he was living in the southern portion of England (a few hours away from Manchester, where my school is). I also discovered he was on facebook and requested him as a friend. We finally connected via facebook and email my last day there last June. He expressed his greetings and warm memories from his time in my hometown. I got to share with him the memories of our brief interactions and that his few words played a part in my educational and vocational journey. It was my hope that I would get to travel down to his town to visit him on a future trip to England, but he passed away three months later (as you can see in the article above).

So I close my reflections of this great hymn in memory of Dr. Reginald Mallett, for he played a significant role in the life and path of this "young chap." I'm confident that Dr. Mallett is clothed in righteousness divine and awaits the final day at the marriage of the new heaven and new earth when he shall, like we, claim the crown through Christ our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment