04 January 2011

Praying with & for a 3-year-old

Given that I work at night when the kids go to bed, I'm granted with few occasions to tuck them in at night and pray with them. When I do, however, I gravitate towards praying the Lord's prayer as well as turning Luke 2.52 into a prayer for them. I'll start by explaining the latter and then share with you my experience in teaching Sam (3 years old) to pray the 'Our Father'.

Luke 2.52 says, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man." I felt sharing this was appropriate since we are still in the season of celebrating and commemorating the time between Jesus' birth and his baptism, which is where this passage is found: right after being found in the temple when he was 12. Right before that story, verse 40 says something similar: "And the child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom. And the favor of God was upon him." I pray these things for Sam & Julianne: "Father, grow this child in wisdom, stature and strength, and grow this child in favor with You and the people in his/her life." I also realize that I have a role in assisting with this. May I be a father who makes it as conducive as possible to foster this growth! But back to what I pray...it's more than just a prayer for their physical, mental, spiritual, and social growth, which is how I've heard it broken down before. It's a prayer to connect Sam & Julianne to the life of Christ! He didn't just come to show off his physical, mental, spiritual, and social prowess. He came to reveal the love of God and to recapitulate (re-head) the human race. That means we get to participate in it! That's why I feel confident in praying this prayer!

Secondly, I pray the Lord's prayer with them. And within the last year, I've tried to use language that seems more fitting for a 3-year-old for him to be able to grasp it. I first say it that way and then follow it up with the more well known so the other words are ingrained in our minds as well. But as for the 3-year-old version, here's what I have come up with. I'm always searching for improvement, so feel free to chime in where you think I've missed something or where you think something else might be better...

"Daddy of everybody,
You are awesome and holy,
Come and be our king,
Help us do what you want us to do,
Here where we are just as where you are in heaven,
Give us grace and whatever we need today to live for you,
We're sorry when we've hurt you, forgive us for when we've hurt you,
And help us to forgive other people when they hurt us,
Help us stay away from trouble,
But when trouble comes our way, rescue us from it."

1 comment:

  1. I liked this post a lot. I remember in Youth we reworked the Lord's Prayer a bit to make it more applicable to us. It is a beautiful prayer in its simplicity. I think we miss that it our rote repetition of it.

    ReplyDelete